How sedation dentistry supports the most pleasant, comfortable, and “fear-free” dental visits
At Liberty Dental Group, we take great pride in creating a warm, welcoming, and relaxing environment that our patients enjoy visiting regularly! After all, consistent routine dental check-ups are the cornerstone of a healthy mouth. However, our dentists, Drs Mike and Emily Molosky respect that each patient brings with them a different experience concerning dentistry. Often, experiences at other dentists’ offices in early childhood can shape our perceptions of dentistry. We offer relaxing and safe sedation dentistry options for these and other reasons. In addition to helping to ease apprehension or “dentophobia,” our patients in and around Brentwood, California, maybe appropriate candidates for either nitrous oxide or oral conscious sedation if:
- They (or young children) are particularly fidgety and have difficulty sitting down for long periods.
- They anticipate a longer appointment
- Complex treatments are on the horizon; for instance, complicated extractions or full-mouth rehabilitation and makeovers
- A history of bad gag reflex exists
- There is a concern about severe tooth sensitivity, or there have been problems with getting numbed entirely in the past
In extreme cases, phobic patients avoid the dental care they need to be healthy overall and lead their fullest lives. They only seek out treatment when toothaches caused by severe infections, for instance, have become intolerable. At this stage, the severe infection can spread to other parts of the body and even cause a dangerous systemic disease, which requires emergency medical care. Our great privilege is to reintroduce these patients to non-judgmental, modern, and genuinely caring dentistry. There is nothing more gratifying to us than to transform extremely fearful or phobic patients into “regulars” who restore their health and smiles that are comfortable and that they can be proud of.
In addition to our team’s friendly approach and our comfy surroundings, sedation is an excellent ally in fighting dental fear and anxiety. Depending on the source of your fear, if fear is present at all, and other factors (such as your age and overall health), we may recommend one of two methods:
- Nitrous oxide (“laughing gas”) – A small nasal mask is placed over your face. This unobtrusive colorless nitrous gas is inhaled to induce a state of relaxation quickly. Due to the neutralizing effects of oxygen, the state of relaxation wears off as quickly as it went into effect. So, patients do not suffer from lingering drowsiness. Likewise, they can safely drive themselves to and from our office without arranging transportation. It is safe and appropriate for pediatric patients.
- Oral conscious sedation is just the medical way of referring to patients being prescribed a sedative medication taken by mouth (orally) and tailored to their needs and personal characteristics. You will take the pill as prescribed by your dentist before your appointment. As its name suggests, this method induces a state of deep relaxation, but patients remain conscious and mostly awake and able to talk to our team and respond to questions. Since these medications cause lingering drowsiness, you must arrange for someone to drive you to and from our office.
You and your background are unique and personal. For this reason, methods and approaches to promote the most comfortable and pleasant experience at our practice are indeed one-of-a-kind and designed around your needs, history, preferences, and goals. Bring your concerns and questions to us. Call Liberty Dental Group at (925) 634-3501 today!